Uniting for domestic violence survivors. #IsolatedNotAlone
Like COVID-19, domestic violence knows no geographic or demographic boundaries. It’s a silent epidemic that is estimated to touch the lives of 35% of women around the world and is often hidden behind closed doors.
To our governments, governors, mayors, and legislators:
Like COVID-19, domestic violence knows no geographic or demographic boundaries. It’s a silent epidemic that is estimated to touch the lives of 35% of women around the world and is often hidden behind closed doors. And now, in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, those women and children are increasingly vulnerable to domestic abuse: an unintended consequence of the isolation measures that leave survivors trapped at home with their abusers.
Frontline women’s non-profits and organizations are already seeing a significant increase in domestic violence cases, resulting in a greater demand for support services.
Supporting UN Women’s call to prioritize domestic violence survivors at this time, Natura &Co and its family of brands, Avon, Natura, The Body Shop, and Aesop are uniting with national and international organizations that deliver frontline services to domestic violence survivors. We respectfully ask that you ensure at-risk women and children— particularly those who are socially disadvantaged—in your countries, cities, and communities have the support and resources they need.
In the spirit of collaboration and connection, we believe it is important to:
1. Give funding to specialist services that support women and children at risk of domestic violence—including shelters, helplines, and other resources—and ensure that resources are expanded, where necessary, to deal with the increased incidence of violence.
2. Keep domestic violence front of mind with public awareness campaigns to ensure the problem is not overlooked.
3. Declare domestic violence shelters essential services and lift restrictions on domestic violence survivors for whom self-isolation may be their most life-threatening option.
At Natura &Co, we believe business can and should be a force for good. Together, our four brands represent the world’s largest women’s network, connecting more than six million representatives and consultants, and 40,000 employees with 200 million consumers in 110 countries. Together, we can make a difference, and this is what drives us to support domestic violence survivors with our #IsolatedNotAlone campaign:
1. The Avon Foundation has committed US$1 million to domestic violence support groups around the world that focus on direct impact, grassroots initiatives.
2. Avon, Natura, The Body Shop, and Aesop will donate essential personal care packages to shelters in their local markets, and will engage their customers to donate locally.
3. Each brand will raise awareness through its social media channels to support survivors, their friends, and their families, sign-posting help and sharing advice on staying safe.
In this extraordinary and challenging time, we are so grateful for the efforts of governments, businesses, and civil society to protect all of us from the coronavirus pandemic. Our ask is that we do not allow domestic violence survivors to become the hidden and forgotten victims of this terrible situation.
Contact the press office and causes team
The press office team will be delighted to help with all your Avon media enquiries.
Corporate Communication Coordinator
email@example.com | Direct: 082 600 6261
Snr Field Communication Specialist
firstname.lastname@example.org | Direct +27 66 374 8036